Monday, April 30, 2012

The last years of Nancy Ann Hendricks Edins/Eddins

Yessity, yessity, yes yes yessir!!!!

In an earlier post I proved that Nancy Ann Hendricks Edins/Eddins was not the same person as the Nancy Hendricks who died in Monroe County in 1870. I said that she lived until at least 1880 and showed up in the Census. Proof that the N. Edins in Lee County was the same as Nancy Ann Hendricks Edins was convoluted. 

Until now...

Please bear with me while I review the old, convoluted proof. 

James A. and Nancy Ann Hendricks Edins had several children, one of whom was Zilpha Eleanor Emily, named after James A.'s delightful mother. Please refer to my earlier post on Zilpha for the proof of her identity. The 1880 Census lists N. Edins as the mother of the head-of-household. Once you accept that Z. A. Freeman is the same person as Zilpha Eddins/Edins, then you have to accept that N. Edins is her mother Nancy Ann Hendricks Eddins/Edins.

But wait. 

Now there's independent confirmation, thanks to my wonderful cousin. 




Yessity, yessity, yes yes yessir!!!!

The War of 1812 Index to Pension Application Files, 1812 - 1910 at FamilySearch.org shows the index card for the application of James A. Edins. 

Soldier's name: Edins, James A.

Widow: Edins, Nancy

Service: Pvt Capt. John Quattlebaum's Company, SC MIL

Enlisted: Sept. 30, 1814

Discharged: October 27, 1814

Bounty land: 28998 160 58

Residence of soldier: 1855 Tallapoosa County ALA

Residence of widow: 1875 - 1878 Opelika, Lee County, ALA

Maiden name of widow: Nancy Hendricks

Marriage of soldier and widow: November 9, 1813, Lexington Dist, SC

Death of soldier: January 27, 1858, Tallassee, Tallapoosa County, ALA


So there is more documentary proof that Nancy Ann Hendricks Eddins/Edins lived beyond 1870. 

To sum up her final years:

Husband James A. died in 1858. In 1860 she was living with son Joseph F. Eddings in Tallapoosa County. By 1870 she was living with daughter Zilpha in Oak Bowers, Chambers County. By 1875 the family had moved to Opelika, Lee County, where they lived long enough to be counted in the 1880 Census. 

Chances are that Nancy Ann and Zilpha died before 1900 and are buried in Lee County. They don't show in the household of Zilpha's children Martha, William, and Francis Marion in that year's census. 

I'm going to AL soon. I hope to bring back the name of the cemetery where these two lovely women are buried. And thanks to my lovely cousin for sending me the info about the index, which confirmed my claim and provided so many juicy new details.

Yessity, yessity, yes yes yessir!!!!








2 comments:

  1. Quick update:

    I tried so hard to find Nancy Ann's gravesite while in AL this trip. Couldn't find anything in Lee County where her daughter Zilpha Ellen Pope and grandchildren were buried. But as I review this post, it occurs to me that she might be buried in Tallassee near James A., wherever that may be. I'll let you know if I find anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete